Sunday, April 01, 2007

well m@, since you asked...

Yes I did hear back from Georgetown. They waitlisted me. The email came on March 30th in the late afternoon despite their promise of a March 29th decision. I stared at the email for about 15 minutes before deciding how to react. I am going to take it as a positive thing. I am pretty confident that the weakest link in my application is my GMAT score and I know that I can easily increase the score by 50 points, minimum (it was a score from my first time, the second time I panicked and had the worst allergy attack ever so I canceled my scores...therefore this third time really shouldn't be a problem. I know I should have taken it earlier but I just hate the fact that my future was going to be decided by a $250 test that does nothing but test my ability to remain calm under extreme anxiety, I was trying to prove a point...apparently they didn't like my point).

Anyway, G-Town gives very specific suggestions on what to do to get off the waitlist so I will do every single one of them. I report to two supervisors and in my original application I just had one write me a letter of rec, I will have the other one write me a letter of rec now too. I will also write a one page essay making clearer my goals. And then the GMAT. I am not so sure about enrolling in an entry level business course...my undergraduate GPA wasn't super high but all of my engineering and math courses were pretty much A's so I don't think taking another course is going to get me anything.

So that is my plan. Maybe I am being a little cocky but I am pretty confident that if everything goes as planned I'll be able to get myself off the waitlist.

However, there is one little hiccup in my plan. I have some serious stressful situations going on that have to be dealt with immediately...that sort of cuts in on my study/writing time. All I can say is that owning rental property is not all that it's cracked up to be! Nightmare tenants can be SERIOUS nightmares! My next investment is going to be in the stock market...real estate is a pain in the a$$!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck with the WL. there is no problem with being cocky - it is a problem if you go overboard ;)

HairTwirler said...

Bummer about the waitlist. Good luck with working on your extra materials!

matt said...

Thanks for answerin'. :) The WL game ain't fun, but I'm glad you still have the chance to go to your top choice. Hang in there!

FSM said...

Welcome to the waitlist lounge :-)

Darden didn't mention anything that I could do to get off the WL in their notification. I'll call the adcom tomorrow and ask them about it. I may appear to be blase about this whole waitlist thing, but I AM extremely keen on getting into Darden this year!