Thursday, April 19, 2007

Decisions Decisions Decisions

And I'm not talking about B-school. Yesterday the Supreme Court upheld the first EVER abortion ban. They have taken the decision making away from doctors and pregnant woman and given it to politicians. Although the procedure they banned is used in relatively few abortions, it is sometimes the safest way to terminate a pregnancy for a women having severe complications. The health and autonomy of women has been endangered. This ruling will have far reaching implications that I don't think many people fully understand. Yesterday my office was abuzz with media interviews, press releases, phone conferences, etc. I was at the office at 7am and didn't leave until 8pm.

But maybe this is what I needed for motivation? When I got home I deleted the essay that I have been working on for the past two and a half weeks to submit to Georgetown's waitlist administrator and started all over. The single page essay was impassioned and solid and I hope that G-town will seriously consider allowing me to enroll. The SCOTUS decision reinvigorated my desire to go to G-Town, I want to be in the center of it all. I want their core general management education and their public policy expertise and their well connected D.C. network. I need to get off this waitlist and start at G-Town in the fall.

On the same note, my co-worker/manager wrote a second letter of rec for me and just submitted it to the waitlist administrator. And tomorrow I retake the GMAT. After tomorrow, there is nothing more I can do to try to convince adcom to let me in. Hopefully that will all be enough.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it'll be more than enough -- go get 'em! I'm thinking about applying to G-town next year if my waitlist histrionics don't work out...keep us in the loop.

Re: the Supreme Court decision. Ufda, I'm still not sure what to think about it -- despite my personal convictions about abortion, I think legislating against it is like putting a generic band-aid on the problem. I'll stop now before I go on a diatribe. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey one word of warning about your essay to gt. they are anti choice...not sure if you saw this but you might want to see this link http://www.thehoya.com/news/041307/news1.cfm

I dont want to discourage you about gt but more to help you with your essay....

Anonymous said...

hey, good luck with that gmat.

MBAstarter said...

All the best!

fromcali said...

all the best for the GMAT. I hated that stupid test.