Monday, June 19, 2006

The sun is an obstacle to a 750 GMAT

How on Earth am I expected to sit inside and practice GMAT problems when it's 80 something degrees outside and the sun is calling my name? It's a serious problem! They really have this application process backwards. We should have to take the GMAT at the start of spring. We could study all thru the winter when the days are shorter and there are less fun things to do during the week (weekends are always good for some snowboarding at least ;-). Application deadlines should be at the start of summer. It may be hard to write essays thru the spring due to that damn sun again, but I seem to be more inspired in the spring so in the long run it'd be a benefit. Then we could have our entire summers to mountain bike, run, wakeboard, salsa dance, or just sit on the patio with a margarita listening to some music while adcom did their thing and we waited for word on our fates.

All that being said I did manage to squeeze in a few hours of studying this weekend despite the sun shining in a clear blue sky. I'm pretty happy though because I seem to be gaining that patience I so lacked at the start of the studying. I did about 40 data sufficiency problems and only made 2 careless errors at about 25 questions in. I also did about 35 sentence correction problems but didn't do as well. I missed about 4 of those questions. But once again those mistakes were careless errors so as long as I keep working on my patience I think I'll be fine. I will get that 750 on my GMAT no matter how distracting that sun may be!

Tonight my cousin's boyfriend, a Phd student at Stanford, has put together an event near the Stanford campus to watch the Espana world cup game. UNIVISION (a local spanish channel) will be at the event too. He had a similar event for the other Espana game and the TV crews were there as well. My cousin was the only female there so they forced her to do an on air interview. I fear that this time we will be the only women there and I will have to avoid the cameras like the plague! Anyway, I really couldn't care less about the World Cup but my cousin's boyfriend told me that some of his students (he teaches at the Stanford GSB) will be there and that I could interrogate them about Stanford GSB! Yay!!

7 comments:

MBABlogger said...

Wow what an interesting thought :) Hope u get 750 plus while the sun shines brightly :)

Stanford has changed the curriculum and the changes sounded really cool..have fun at the event

i_will_make_it said...

lol. I know what you mean. Last year I sat on the "quiet floors" of the San Jose library so I could force myself to avoid the sunshine and study every weekend.

Good luck with the GMAT and Stanford!

FSM said...

I totally agree with you. It's worse for us in Michigan because we have such a short summer! However I should be done with my GMAT in less than a month .. yaay! When do you plan to take yours?

StressTensor said...

Just out of curiosity, are you an American or Chilean or both (dual citizen)? BTW, here (North Carolina) the sun is doing too much - about 100 degrees good :(

Rico's Mom said...

fsm- i'm not taking it until Agust! i have to suffer thru more of June and the whole month of July with the sun shining down on me asking me to play!

stresstensor- i have only american citizenship but residency in chile. however i am living in california as of right now.

i_will_make_it - i live right by the SJ library and can't bring myself to go indoors to study just yet! but it's a beautiful library and i imagine soon enough i'll be forcing myself to go there.

Unknown said...

I am definitely thinking about applying to Stanford myself. If you get any cool insights, please share them on your blog ;) (blink blink)

mbayisyen said...

The sun is definitely an obstacle to do anything but I have been blaming the World Cup for my procrastination though.