Friday, June 16, 2006

Brand Name Whore

I am a brand name whore. I like brand name clothing, sunglasses, jewelry, watches, etc. Don't get me wrong I have plenty of $5 sunglasses and clothing from Target but I do indulge myself on 5th Ave in NY once in a while.

And yes, I want the brand name MBA! One of my best friends tells me that I'm an education snob. But then again he only dates "hot" chicks...so he's not allowed to judge...he likes those girls for their bodies and I like men for their brand name education...I think both of us are probably in the wrong here, but that's a story for another day. Last night I went out with another friend. I've been quite the party girl recently, by Sunday I will have gone out 6 nights this week? Wow, I really should be studying for the GMAT!...but I digress. Back to my story. Some guy was hitting on me at the bar. We got to talking and as soon as he said that he had gone to a community college for a few years and then finally finished his degree up at State (mind you, finally meant that he had taken an additional 4 years to finish at State) I lost all interest. Now it's not completely fair to judge me at this point as I'm not sure I was all that interested in the first place. But I wonder if he had said that he had just finished up at Stanford or Berkeley or any other top school if that would have peaked rather than waned my interest? Regardless, it occurred to me at that moment that brand name in education matters to me. So I decided that I will not settle for getting my MBA at anything less than a top ranked school! Call me what you will, but I am a sucker for brand names and I've just come to accept this about myself. Now I will have to blog anonymously forever because anyone I meet at b-school in the future will have read this and, probably rightly so, will have decided that I am a complete snob!

8 comments:

Forrest Gump said...

you should definitely read the original poster's note here -- http://forums.businessweek.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=messages&tsn=1&tid=69454&webtag=bw-bschools

(read the 2nd para about HBS) :))

Rico's Mom said...

That was pretty entertaining. Apparently I'm not the only girl that falls for the guy with the name brand school! Thanks for the link :-) Sometimes a little perspective is good.

FSM said...

Yup, there are plenty of brand crazy girls like you. And that's one of my reasons for seeking a brand name MBA :-)

Marina said...

I am definitely in your club

Anonymous said...

Oh my... You have not been accepted into any school and here you are judging someone soley based on what undergraduate program they attended.

For all you know, that guy that you blew off at the bar was worth a few million and had a great attitude.

Your attitude is pretty typical of a woman looking for status.

Always remember that the school has nothing to do with a persons success, unless they have it in them to begin with.

How many women here would date a guy who went to HBS if that guy was also an asshole?

I know a few women like this and they all have one thing in common: they all have low self-esteems and always end up dating assholes. They get dumped by the guys and, for some reason, go running back to them.

I avoid women with this mind-set like the plague; it says a great deal about their character and is enough to convince me that when time are tough (which they will be one day) they will be outtie.

Money and name brands are quite nice, but it is the woman who can do without while holding her head up high during those tough times that really matters.

Man.. It would surely be funny if you only get into University of Phoenix and then get rejected by a guy because of the school you attended.

Rico's Mom said...

C.P.- Dude take a chill pill! My attitude has nothing to do with looking for status. I, in fact, am quite pleased with my status all my own and have no need nor desire for a man's status to boost my self esteem.

My point was that education is important to me and the difference between an education from a State school and one from Harvard is quite significant and that signifigance is important to me.

And no I wouldn't date an a** hole just because of his Harvard degree. I feel sorry for the women in your life who have that need. Maybe instead of judging them you should help them find ways to boost their own self esteem.

Anonymous said...

If this is so significant to you, what are you going to do if you are not accepted into any top school?

Rico's Mom said...

anonymous-

i'm pretty confident i will be accepted to at least one of the schools i want. why would i apply if i had doubts? but if i'm not accepted, i won't get an MBA. it's not worth the investment to me unless i get exactly what i want.