Monday, May 14, 2007

Moving on...

The celebrating has ended and it's time to move on to the preparing. I spent half the day on Sunday making my house sparkle because it was being shown to prospective buyers. It makes me sad that it took me almost 4 years to get my house to the point it is now...every piece of furniture the perfect piece found randomly at a store or handed down from my grandparents, every painting from one of my travels, every picture placed purposely in my hallway to highlight friendships, family and accomplishments....everything has it's place and purpose. And if I do say so myself...my house is so damn nice! (I love interior design, and would have totally gone in to it if I didn't have this whole civic mindedness crap stuck in my head ;-) The people who viewed my home loved it and want to make an offer...now I wait...again. No anxiety this time though. Just a little excitement and a little sadness. I don't think anyone can understand how much, literal, blood sweat and tears went into my house. And I don't think any new owner will appreciate it like I do.

But it's time to move on. The last time I had a roommate was 5 years ago. I am incredibly nervous about living with someone again in D.C. But 2 years...not even, more like 18 months, will come and go so quickly and my life will be a whirlwind of activities and studies. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm hoping anyway.

I also can't decide if I should drive cross country to have my car in D.C. or if I should fly and try life without a car for a while? Which, by the way I would LOVE to do. As much as I love California...public transportation here SUCKS! But then I also have to deal with transporting Rico, my dog. Originally my BF and I thought we'd take 2-1/2 weeks to drive cross country and do a lot of backpacking and hiking in all the national parks we'd pass but we can't go into parks with Rico. So we decided on Costa Rica instead. Leave Rico at home with his dog sitter (my mom or my ex-bf, long story, don't ask). Then I'd drive cross country with my mom in 3 or 4 days. I don't know what to do? I'll figure it out though.

Not much news from GTown these days. I just sent in my deposit check on Saturday so it's official. Started filling out my financial aid papers yesterday. Should finish with those tonight. Then I need to start looking for scholarships. Loans suck...I know this because I am still paying them off from my undergrad. Blech.

4 comments:

fromcali said...

what about shipping your car across country and going to Costa Rica? That way, someone can watch your dog, you can still go on your vacation, and you'll still be able to keep your car in DC (which i hear comes in handy)

the being said...

I hear you, about the house! but like u said its time to move on... i keep looking around my house and going on sigh-fests these days :(

StressTensor said...

You absolutely do not need ur car in DC. Many apartment rentals do not include parking for a car.

My GF interned in DC last summer and I had to drop her off/pick her up all the time. The public transportation is very good though, way better than CalTran/BART/Muni. (SFO is good too).

It is pretty difficult to find parking when you are driving around town too. So leave your car if it will be maintained by someone, else take it along. A cross country drive has its own rewards ;)

ipoel said...

hey mbasalsera, i read a couple of weeks ago of ur post in regard to breaking the 700 GMAT barrier :) congrsts btw.. i am wondering if i shd retake gmat for the sake of finding an employment dring the b school..i believe one of the factor that recruiters look at is the gmat score.. anything below 700 may not look too convincing ( thinking of IB or consulting specifically ).. any thought on this? i'm pretty bad with my verbal and was so-so on my quant .. verbal was around 70% and math was 86%