Friday, January 26, 2007

Georgetown

I was impressed and pleasantly surprised! Georgetown did such an amazing job with their all day Women in Business recruiting event! Everyone I met, alumni, current students, prospective students, Adcom, was so nice and the school was so welcoming! At first I was little concerned that I wouldn't last through the entire day long event (10am-5pm!) since we took the red eye out there and arrived in DC at 7am. But the day flew by!

They started out the day with a little organization fair. Most of the clubs and organizations in the business school had tables set up and we roamed around and spoke with different leaders of the clubs. I was able to learn a lot about the student run internship fund for students taking internships at non-profits and I spoke at length with the students running the NET Impact group that I'm interested in participating. I also spoke at length with a girl who is getting a dual degree MPP/MBA and wants to go into non-profit. It was great learning about the programs form someone actually in them.

I can't remember the exact order of things (remember I took a red eye...and didn't sleep a wink on the plane!) but we had an info session type presentation given my two current students. We had the dean (previously the dean of NYU Stern) speak to us. The director of career services and the director of student affairs also gave little presentations. The highlight for me was listening to a professor presentation. She actually gave us signed copies of her recently published book on globalization! I'm really excited to read it!

After a brief walk thru/tour of the campus (which seemed so small to me) we had a really nice catered lunch with a key note speaker, an alum that now works in the higher ups of Sprint/Nextel. All of these presentations were geared towards women and helping women succeed in business school and industry. They were all done very well too!

After lunch there was an all women alumni panel that we had a Q&A session with. They were really nice, very honest, and just so laid back but still articulate and intelligent. I really was super impressed by all of them. Then they had a little cocktail hour with everyone, current students, alum, adcom, etc.

The Cons: To tell you the truth there weren't many! I sort have an issue with attending a Jesuit school but I could easily get over that. The weather was COLD and I am such a wimp in the cold! The program is really new and doesn't have that "brand name MBA" thing that I tend to be snotty about...but again, something I can and will get over. The facilities are not that great (but they are breaking ground on a new building that is scheduled to be done by the spring semester of 2008)

The Pros: I loved DC (minus the cold). The political opportunities abound! A very good public policy program for me to consider. The people truly were amazing. I do think since they are trying to build the program and they don't have a name for themselves yet that they stress the academics and truly want to make you successful in order for them to climb up those ranking charts. If the new building is actually finished on time there's going to be great facilities in a perfect location!

Now it's just a matter of submitting the application and waiting...again!

In other news, I gave my first sit down television interview yesterday for work. I've done short news interviews that turn into 10 second blurbs on TV. And I've been interviewed by newspaper journalists before. But this interview was 30 minutes. I was incredibly nervous but I managed to hold myself together and I was pretty proud of the result! The program is going to be aired next week. It's just a local program but it was awesome to have a platform to talk about teen pregnancy and what we are doing to combat it and the services we offer at our clinics. It was pretty exciting for me...I never in a million years would have thought I, the dorky, technical, mechanical engineer, would be sitting in a suit on a program discussing teen pregnancy! It was exciting!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! I was at the Georgetown event too and also really enjoyed the day. I'm pretty much set on going there in the Fall. Maybe I'll see you then. I am a marathoner too! And if you'll be around, the Marine Corps Marathon in October is awesome.

Scuba Steve said...

Hey, What's you issue with attending a Jesuit school? (The Jesuits do not have a strong presence at Georgetown from what I hear from students). I am not catholic, but I did enjoy the positive influence I saw them bring to campus at Seattle U.

Rico's Mom said...

Sally- If we both end up at Georgetown we can train together! I've heard about the Marine Corps Marathon too! Have you already applied Round 1 or are you applying this round?

Steve- It's not a big issue, it's just that religion in general makes me slightly uncomfortable. If others want to practice it that's fine, but I just don't want to be confronted with religious things on a daily basis. Although, I didn't get that from my visit so I'm keeping an open mind aout it.

Unknown said...

Sounds good! I applied to Gtown first round and heard back pretty quickly. I don't think the Jesuit thing would be an issue, it seems like it is something you can either seek out or ignore. Good luck on your application!

FSM said...

Salsera - I'm traveling to DC next week after my interview at Darden. Any tips on things to do / places to visit? FSM