Tuesday, August 08, 2006

CANCELLED!

I just took the GMAT. I panicked and basically just threw $250 in the garbage. I am at a loss right now.

The other day I took my final official GMAT practice exam and scored horribly on it. I messed up my time management and I just couldn't keep my head focused, which seems to be a recurring theme in my life right now. I tried to muster up my confidence the two days prior to my exam and apparently I wasn't successful. I had the same time management problem on my official exam. The last 10 questions on the quant I basically just rushed thru and guessed blindly. Then on the verbal I was so distracted by my performance on the quant that I couldn't even try to focus on the verbal. So I panicked. I stared at my options REPORT SCORES, CANCEL SCORES. It took me about 5 minutes and then I finally decided to cancel.

So now what do I do? I need to start working again. I need to work full time. My time management has sucked since I haven't been working. And now I'm thinking maybe I should just forget about these top schools and use my first offical GMAT score to apply to lesser schools? Or maybe I wasn't cut out for this MBA in the first place? OK so I'm just throwing myself a little pity party right now. Once I recover from this blow maybe I'll be able to rationally figure all of this out and determine what my next step will be. Until then, I'm going running with my dog...Happy trails...

9 comments:

Marina said...

Sorry to hear about the crp experience. What was your first score? You really don't think it can get you into the top schools?

Rico's Mom said...

Now that I went running and blew off some steam I'm feeling a little better. The only loss here will be about 3 weeks time and $250. Not that that's insignificant but it isn't the end of the world. I know I can do well on the GMAT. I just need to bolster my confidence a bit more. So that's what I'll do. My first score (with minimal to no studying)is definitely not enough to get me into top schools...only a 620 (and I can't remember the breakdown). I was anticipating at least a 720 this time around...my feeling was that I probably only got around a 650 the way I was answering questions but who knows?

Continental Drift said...

I improved my score by 50 points on my second attempt, and I'd strongly suggest sitting for the exam again.

I don't agree with your assessment that you're not cut out for an MBA just because you got a low GMAT score. I think that your intended not-for-profit career path is a very noble path to take, and one that would make you very attractive to schools.

All the best!

Forrest Gump said...

i agree with others have said. shit happens to all of us, so stop killing yourself for a bad gmat. retake the test and you would surely do much better. good luck

Inblue said...

hey i can feel your pain. i can very well imagine how you must have felt in that exam cuble. I underwent the same thing. We all have days.

Inspite of whatever happened I decided to to cancel and i got a 690.

Just throw out the pain and start again. You know you can do better so do it !

mbayisyen said...

oh no! mba-Salsera, sorry to hear that. I think you shouldn't have cancelled your score. At least you would know what you had. Don't overfocus on the GMAT. I am sure that you have what it takes just don't forget that the GMAT is only one portion of your application. Good luck on your next GMAT exam. Necesitas gozarte un poco ;-)

Hobbes said...

Sorry to hear abt that. As someone said, shit happens, to all of us!

Certainly dont agree with your statement that you are not cutout for an MBA. This too shall pass.

So, gear up for the test and you shall ace it! Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

I can't add much that hasn't already been said. The GMAT definately sucks, thowing away $250 sucks, and not getting in to your school of choice sucks, too.

I do think you're being rather mature and clear headed in your line of thinking. Perhaps it's good to question why you want to get into a "top" program, aside from its ranking. Have you seen any evidence that your choice of school will really affect your earning/career potential later? I did quite a bit of looking in those regards before enrolling in my school, and couldn't find much information to substantiate any belief that I'd be better off for attending a more well known school. Nobody outside of Kansas City has heard of my school (Rockhurst), yet 1 in 10 graduates from that school are currently CEO of a company or President of an organization.

The main thing is to have faith in your abilities, earn the piece of paper and get into the market to prove yourself. All the rest of this GMAT/School choice stuff is just an obstacle to the real goal.

Nick Osinski said...

Hi there.

I didn't see another way by which to contact you so I hope that you don't mind me posting in your comments.

We love your blog! I'm contacting you on behalf of the MBA Association (www.mbaassociation.org). We're in the process of launching our new website and we've included your blog as one of our content sources. We've included your blog in our directory as well as included a link to your blog in each of the posts that we sourced.

Of course, if you would prefer that we remove your blog from our site, then please just let me know and we will cease immediately.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Nick.
nick@mbaassociation.org
www.mbaassociation.org