Tuesday, August 22, 2006

14 Miles from Civilization

I'm home from Yosemite and all I can think about is when I can go back. There's something to be said for being completely and totally inaccessible to anyone or anything and surrounded by nature...redwoods, mountains, fresh water streams, glaciers, lakes, wildflowers, and just plain old silence. It definitely helps to keep things in perspective. What's strange about being 14 miles away form civilization into the mountains and over 10,000ft above sea level is the people that you run into. We met a human rights activist on his way to Harvard law school to be a Human rights attorney, a guy that was building houses for habitat for humanity, a lady that was a social worker, another lady that worked on health care policy for MediCal recipients, a bunch of guys that work for the U.S. Forestry Service with the desire to keep these forests pristine and untouched by bulldozers. It was odd meeting so many "do-gooders" there. I think I've been a bit jaded being in the Silicon Valley surrounded by so many people who are here just to make money for themselves. It was nice to see so many people that were concerned about others or the environment or whatever cause they happened to be proponents of. I did however learn how to answer the question of "what do you do?". I m officially in transition! That's my answer and I'm sticking with it until I'm going to classes at Stanford or Columbia or wherever my essays may take me.

As of tomorrow, I am officially employed and working as a campaign assistant for Planned Parenthood. It's temporary, only until November. It's a pretty big undertaking for me. The hours promise to be long, the nights late and the weekends full of activity. I'm not sure I could keep that up any longer than November. I'm a little nervous considering all of this is happening alongside of me turning in at least three of my 5 applications for b-school. But I think it's worth it for the experience and for me to determine if this is really the route I want to go.

I have decided that I will apply to Stanford, Yale, and Columbia in the first round and second round I will apply to two more schools that I haven't quite decided on yet.

I've officially started on Stanford's essay A. I have about one sentence down and I'm guessing another 200 to go???? This is tough. What matters most to me and why? I know the answer but how do I relate that to career, life decisions and how do I write 3-4 pages on it? This promises to be a very good writing exercise for me as I absolutely suck at communicating my ideas verbally much less on paper! It is sort of weird though after coming back from my trip...there's part of me that's looking forward to this essay.

1 comment:

Continental Drift said...

Yes, it is strange that you run into interesting people at places you'd never imagine.

Good luck with the PP role!