Monday, July 10, 2006

All good things must come to an end

The vacation has come to an end. If you haven't been to Lake Shasta I highly recommend it! It is beautiful! The weather was perfect. It was about 95 degrees but the water was around 80 degrees and there was a nice cool breeze. It really was perfect. I have also discovered that water skiing gets boring and wakeboarding can be the source of many a bruised limbs. I get a little too adventurous at times and my body pays the price. But it was totally worth it. I got a little gmat studying in but not much. I started to stress about it yesterday and then this morning when I got to work I found out that I have plenty of time to be studying between now and G-day.

After a week off on vacation I come to work this morning to find my job has come to an end as well. My boss left me a lovely note, yes a NOTE, that basically says "we are having some major financial setbacks and your services are no longer needed, effective immediately". Then the impersonal jack ass asks me, in the note of course, to give hime a rundown on where all my work is and what still needs to be done, etc. I just stood up and walked out. I don't plan on ever going back. I knew they were having financial difficulties and they had already let a lot of people go that's why I though I was safe. But alas, I was the final one to be let go. And it's fine, I understand their reason....they are marketing more their software than their packaging so it makes sense to let go of the single mechanical engineer...but a f'ing note? How rude!

After about 10 minutes of freaking out I realized there was definitely an up side to this. I am going to start looking for a job now but I don't plan on starting work until after labor day. I'll use this time to do lots of GMAT studying and then I'm going to Yosemite to hike and camp for a few days and then I'll relax a little bit before going back to work. The big suck about all of this is that I really wanted to only work part time so I could do the volunteer work with planned parenthood but I highly doubt I'll be able to find part time work that pays as well. But it'll work out. It always does for me :-)

So for now, off to the library to work a bazillion permutation and combination problems. My only weakness on the quant side.

6 comments:

Marina said...

You might want to tackle those essays with all the time off as well :)

FSM said...

Getting fired always sucks, but this one might turn out to your advantage in the long run (as you have realized yourself). On a lighter note, your blog title now makes perfect sense :-)

Anonymous said...

No worries.. Any company that let's you go like that isnt worth your time.. Glad to know you walked out without speaking to him or giving him a run down..

will be nice to hear about how your boss is sucking when he is trying figure out what you were doing.

FooBarMe said...

Sorry about the job, but I agree with Chris. A company that leaves a note like this - you are probably better off elsewhere...

StressTensor said...

I agree with FSM's comment on your Blog title :)

You should look at temp agencies if you strictly want a part-time job. It is not in the interest of most employers to get a temp employee unless it is at the lowest levels, e.g., a draftsman (engineering example).

But a temp/part time position will hurt your application in the sense that the employers in this case will not be tempted to hand you a lot of responsibility.

Rico's Mom said...

My secret plan is to wow the folks at planned parenthood enough to get them to hire me on instead of working for free. Granted, most likely the pay there will be almost like working for free but it's not about the $$. Besides I have my rental properties to keep me afloat for now. Just no more flying off to NY for haircuts. OK so I didn't really fly to NY specifically for haircuts but I did plan my trips there to coincide with my haircuts :-)
So no more of that!

Thanks for all the support! I'm feeling pretty Ok with all of it now. Feeling a little rejected though...not really used to that. I've been a pretty lucky girl up until now! C'est la vie!