Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Practice Test #3

I finally sat down in my non air conditioned 100deg house yesterday to take my third practice exam from Princeton. I was finally very pelased with my performance on the Quant section. I answered only 2 questions incorrectly and ran out of time before I picked an answer for the last question. The two questions I answered incorrectly were done near the end of the exam. Now you'd think that with that performance I'd earn a pretty good score for the Quant section but I just got a 43? So now, there is definite proof that the scoring algorithm used by Princeton is a bit out of whack. Or am I missing something here? Regardless, I am thru stressing about the score on the practice exams. I was happy with my Quant section.

Verbal was another story. I did great the first half of the exam but by the second half I was losing patience and focus and just couldn't pay attention long enough to get the answers right. I did great on reading comprehension but only so so on the sentence correction and critical reasoning. What really surprised me was that the 4 of the last 7 questions were R.C. Once that long ass passage popped up I figured I was doomed, I was running out of time and there was no way I'd be able to answer these correctly. But I did. I answered all of them correctly and barely skimmed the passage. So now I am going to start spending less time reading the passages and see if I can continue with getting the R.C. questions right. If that's the case I can spend more time on the critical reasoning questions, where I seem to need more time with anyway.


All in all my overall score wasn't what I wanted but surprisingly it did boost my confidence a bit. Only a couple weeks left until the big day...better get cracking now!

And on the school front...I have a meeting with a couple of current students at Stanford GSB next week that I'm looking forward to. Hopefully I can get some more insight into the program. I also spoke with a guy who graduated from Columbia this weekend. He was very helpful as well. I am attending an info session at Haas soon as well as an info session for Wharton at the Wharton West campus in San Francisco. There is also the MBA tour happening in September in San Francisco that I will be attending too. I'd be happier if I had started this process about a month prior but I think I'm on track to accomplish my goals.

3 comments:

Marina said...

A bit of a warning regarding the MBA Tour. I was SUPER excited about it last year and came to be dissapointed. You have all these tables with different schools and people just wander from table to table asking stupid questions like "What is your average GMAT and GPA?" I would have some school specific questions ready that you actually want answers to. This is not really the kind of event where face time matters, since ther are thousands of people.

Also, once you sign up you are going to get a few emails from schools that do interviews the day of the event. They ask you to submit a resume and if they like you, they schedule a time slot. I highly encourage you to take advantage of this and interview at a school you are not really interested in to get a feel for how the interviews flow. I had mine with Tepper and UC Irvine and definitely learned a few things.

Juggler said...

it's the satisfaction level during ur prep that matters more than the score...

the only software whose scoring algo can be trusted is GMATPrep. I got the same score i got on the GMATPrep i took the day before the test. Moreover you can take each GMATPrep test multiple times...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! All the best for your GMAT!

Suser said...

i'm less than 2 weeks away!!!! good luck to the both of us!