Friday, July 21, 2006

Dinner with Stanford GSB Grads

Wow! I am almost at a loss for words! Last night I was lucky enough to join a bunch of Stanford GSB graduates at dinner and it was fantastic!! All of them geniuses! Their successes before grad school and their successes after are just unbelievable. And their love for the school is amazing. They all spoke so highly of the program. They gave me a bit of advice and all said I would love it there. However, after hearing their stories I am really quite intimidated and feeling a little less confident about my chances. But all I can do is present Stanford with the best application I can come up with and hope for the best.

I know some of you who have read my posts regarding branding probably think I'm a snob. But last night I realized why brand is so important to me. I'm not saying that every graduate out of a top 5 business school is a genius nor am I saying you can't find geniuses at a lower level institution but as I witnessed last night, there is a reason Stanford is branded the way it is. These guys were incredibly bright and it showed in the level of conversaton at the dinner table. They weren't discussing the latest gossip about Britney Spears or what happened on American Idol...the conversation went from business to equality in education to the biological and social factors that divide men and women to the differences between good leaders and good politicians and then they reminisced a bit about their days at Stanford. It was a wonderful evening and I am so happy I was able to be a part of it. Every day I get more and more excited about my change of career and my decision to pursue this MBA. I know I've made the right choice!

4 comments:

Marina said...

There is nothing wrong with talking about Britney's latest hair color change or nude photoshoot over dinner :)

Continental Drift said...

Ummm...whom are you hanging out with?

Anonymous said...

Nice post. It is nice to be among people who have more to say about the world than what they watched on television the night before, isn't it? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you! Stanford is my first choice school as well. And I totally know what you mean when you say you're "brand conscious"! =)