Monday, February 26, 2007

I want Georgetown

This weekend I did a lot of reflection on what I want. And it surprised me that I really really want Georgetown. I was all talk early on about the big name schools. Not that Georgetown isn't a big name but it's not the typical name associated with a top 10 b-school. Anyway, I just kept thinking about the opportunities I would have living in D.C. to work in policy related non-profits. Plus every Georgetown student and alumni I spoke with while there was so impressive. And I think since the MBA program at Georgetown is relatively new, it'd be nice to be able to take part in shaping the program as it grows and matures. Plus the students I spoke to at Georgetown spoke so highly of the academics there. And I want more than just a networking group in b-school. I really really want to learn the fundamentals of managing a non-profit. I have a lot to learn and I want to have a high quality education in an environment that I feel comfortable as well as in an environment that will provide me with a lot of opportunities. So now I continue to wait...and hope.

As I wait for word on my fate I think it's nearly impossible to stop my mind from going down all possible "What if..." roads. Most frightening of which is the "What if I don't get in to Georgetown or any other school". What the heck am I going to do with myself? I know in the end something will workout. I always manage to make things work. But I don't want to have to make something work. I want to move out of the area, I want to be a student again, and I want change. Major change. I want this new career. Right now I still feel like an engineer trying to pass as a public affairs person. I want to be in this job, I feel like I'm pretending right now because I don't feel like I am contributing as much as I could be. Please just let me get in to school...I don't want to think about all the "What if..." options anymore!

OK I think this gloomy Monday morning is making my head go a little wacky. Maybe I should have slept in a little longer this morning...

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I think you're my twin. :)

Anonymous said...

er, I meant dudette...sorry. :)

Rico's Mom said...

I was going to clarify for you m@ but decided in the blogospere we're really all gender free ;-)

HairTwirler said...

Best of luck! Hopefully I'll see you there next year!

asiangal said...

I've gone through the whole "What if ..." scenario in my head as well. *SIGH* We hope for the best but need to be prepared for the possibility that things don't always turn out as planned. =)

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with Georgetown. I am waiting for the result too. Hopefully I'll get in there too.

StressTensor said...

Well, I am in the unenviable position of not having any offers this year (MIT, Stanford, Columbia) and I have to tell you it feels like crap :( I thought I was prepared for this as this was my trial run year (due to career prospects changing at work, I had to drop a few schools).

But deep in my heart, I wanted to get into CBS and I did not even get an interview. I have no idea why.

Looks like I need to vent on my own blog :)

All the best Salsera with Georgetown. I might be in San jose in may (visiting family); I will let you know.

Rico's Mom said...

stresstensor-

Dude that sucks! I don't have much faith that my situation will be much different. There's always next year I suppose. Throw yourself a little pity party and let your friends and family spoil you for a bit then you'll be back on your feet in no time! Good luck!

StressTensor said...

Thanks! I am doing fine now with work keeping me busy. I will start looking into schools again soon (April). Do you know if MIT/Stanford are re-applicant friendly, especially w/o interviews this year?

I plan on applying to CBS in August when they start accepting apps again.

On the bright side, I have been dancing every day for the last two weeks and I am back in shape ;)

Rico's Mom said...

ST- I've read in a few places, can't remember which, that Stanford was not that re-applicant friendly but who really knows? I have no idea about MIT. But if you're really hooked on Colombia I say go for it and put all your efforts there in reapplying and maybe search out some new schools to add ot the list. If I have to go thru this process again next year, I refuse to reapply to any of the same schools. If they can't see my value the first time around then they don't deserve to have my contributions to their programs (mind you, that is a bruised ego talking:-).

Enjoy the dancing! I'm jealous! I am so out of salsa shape...I've only been dancing twice in the past 6 months! But I had to choose between marathon training and salsa dancing. The running won out since the running makes me skinnier and I am a bit of a vain girl ;-) But once the days get longer and the skies get sunnier I'll find the time to do both!

Good luck with your reapps! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I visited Georgetown last week while I was in DC. I am an atheist myself but one of my friends wanted to attend a mass at the church on the campus (she was an undergrad there) and I tagged along. It's a very pretty campus with awesome old style buildings .. but I didn't really bother exploring much since it was quite late. I now feel that I should have attended a class there, but I suppose it doesn't matter since I'm unlikely to apply there for '08. Anyway all the best, and I hope you get an interview call from Georgetown soon!

FSM .. (damn I forgot my blogger password!)