Thursday, June 21, 2007

Overwhelmed

They don't tell you in the interview that your assignments start the minute you send in your deposit check! I attended the Career search Jump Start program that Georgetown career development office so graciously designed to get a head start on the resume building and career search for incoming 1st years. The program is required and if you cannot attend in person (they travel to several cities in the U.S.) then you must complete it on line. I am glad I was able to attend in person. I found that I am not the only one completely confused about everything that needs to be completed prior to stepping foot on campus. Not to mention totally overwhelmed. The two ladies from the career office were very nice an extremely helpful. But when one of them said "it's great to get this all started now, this summer, since you have the time" I cried a little inside.

Time? What time? I still have an entire house to pack up and move out of by June 30th. I have to dig myself out of this pile of crap on my desk at work and wrap up everything before my last day on July 6th. I have yet to plan a single moment of my trip to Costa Rica which I leave for on July 12th. And as of June 30th I am pretty much homeless in my hometown not to mention what the hell I'm doing about housing in D.C.??? Time??? Seriously? I have time? Where is it because I can't seem to find it?

I return from Costa Rica on July 22nd and have a week to get myself together before spending another week driving cross country to arrive homeless in D.C. by August 5th. But no worries because I'll have plenty of time to do statistics and accounting on line courses then read and prepare the first 4 chapters of my accounting text book. NO worries!!!! Plenty of TIME!

Why exactly did I want to go back to school????

7 comments:

DreamingLady said...

I do feel the same way as you feel. Overwhelmed. But you will do just fine. Get sometime to relax during the summer and have a fresh start in August.

1effect said...

Be sure to enjoy the chaos of life! It's just another terrific chapter in your story!

Because you follow MBA news, we wanted to tell you about an interesting program that happened recently in Nashville involving Fortune 500 corporations and students from around the world.

Shortly after Donald Trump announced that he was moving on from "The Apprentice," Acceleratorä, a four-week business boot camp at Vanderbilt University’s Owen Graduate School of Management, challenged students to learn business by doing business.

For 30 days, 45 top-notch college students from the U.S. and around the world were exposed to CEOs and other executives from a variety of industries. They were given real-world business problems to solve for companies like American Airlines, FedEx, Lexus, Whirlpool, and Hospital Corporation of America, competing "Apprentice-style" for once-in-a-lifetime opportunities that included:

§ Time in the flight simulators at FedEx
§ A trip to Dallas, courtesy of American Airlines, to present their recommendations to their executive management team
§ A table at the National Civil Rights Museum's Freedom Award celebrity dinner, honoring those who made significant contributions to civil rights movements
§ Internships
§ And more

The program ended on June 24, 2007 but you can get the 411 at http://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbilt/Programs/accelerator/index.cfm. You can also peek inside this action-packed immersion into all areas of business at the Accelerator blog (http://accelerator2007.blogspot.com/), maintained by Michael Burcham, CEO of ParadigmHealth and Accelerator's entrepreneurial faculty director.

Best of luck to you!

matt said...

Oh, you know EXACTLY why you're going back to school, c'mon! :)

FSM said...

Hope you are having fun in Costa Rica! Central america is absolutely gorgeous :)

StressTensor said...

Hi There!

How was Costa Rica? My fiance and I are looking at possible Honeymoon locations, so any input will be appreciated. BTW, planning a wedding AND applying to B-School definitely takes the cake.

Let me know when you are in DC so we can work out a time to meet.
Cheers!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3UzgFY5sFk

Hi Guys, i had seen this video its very funny. so watch it and enjoy.