Wednesday, May 31, 2006

My First Time

I've finally stopped being a ghost reader and started my own blog. Here's my story:

I graduated from UCLA with a degree in mechanical engineering. I've been working as an engineer ever since and haven't been happy with my career choice since day one. I loved engineering courses in school but the real world is a little different. After lots of introspection I think maybe I should have gotten an advanced degree in engineering and gone into research, then quite possibly I would have enjoyed being an engineer. But I didn't and now I'm feeling a little stuck.

I've always done community service on the side and I like working at something I care about. Sometimes at work I see my boss get so excited about a new project and I think to myeslf 'when will I be excited about my job? When do I get to have that feeling of pride or accomplishment when a project has finished successfully?'. So far at work, I really haven't. But I do have the feeling of pride when I'm volunteering. I love leaving an event knowing I've done something to forward a cause I believe in, finding a homeless animal a new home or raising money for women's rights. The thing is I like my life too much. I can't give up all my free time to these volunteer events. After work I like taking my dog for a long run on the trails, repairing my old house, seeing my family, going for a drink with friends, going salsa dancing (this one especially ), going mountain biking. I don't want to give my life up so that I can be more involved in my volunteer work. So I've decided to go back to school so I can change my career. I want to find that job that satisfies both needs I have, to apply my education and be excited and proud of what I've accomplished at my job. Now it's just figuring out what exactly that job is going to be and figuring out a way to express all of this in the millions of essays I'll have to write come fall!!

No comments: